Sunday, November 24, 2013

C4T Summary #4

Little Things that Make a Big Difference by Jeff Delp

Jeff Delp is a middle school principle in Arizona. In this post Jeff talked about the importance of encouragement. Jeff said that to encourage someone it doesn't always have to be a grand gesture, in fact it could be something as simple as a single word. Jeff used the examples of a simple "thank you" note, a piece of candy, and just telling someone they are "appreciated" to back up his concept of encouragement. Jeff's overall message reflected a great quote he cited by Albert Schweitzer; "At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us."

My Comment to Jeff

I told Jeff I have a good understanding of encouragement vastly due to the teachings of my parents. I said I will make extensive efforts in my future teaching career to incorporate positive reinforcement in my classroom. I also told Jeff I thought there was a tight connection between positive reinforcement and motivation. I said I was always more motivated by teachers who encouraged me.

5 Things I Want My Daughter to Learn in School by Jeff Delp

In this post Jeff talks about stepping away from his school administrative position, and sliding on his parental shoes. Jeff lists five things he wants his daughter to get out of school. The five things Jeff lists are thinking, empathy, purpose, creativity, and difference making. Jeff said he wants his daughter to be able to critically think and be a problem solver. He wants her to have empathy for everyone she comes across because with each new person comes a new set of circumstances that has shaped them. He wants her schoolwork to have purpose and not be busy work. He wants school to build and mold creativity in her, and teach her how to be a difference maker. Jeff questions whether the current test taking centered education is able to provide these things that he wants for his daughter. He said it is definitely the part of parents to help their children be successful with these things, but if schools focused more on them as well it could only be a good thing.

My comment to Jeff

I told Jeff the five things he wants for his daughter are very important indeed. I said being able to critically think will put one way ahead in life than one who can't. I also said empathy and creativity are great supplements to critical thinking. I told him being able to develop these skills for children at home and at school would definitely be the best situation.

headshot of Jeff Delp

No comments:

Post a Comment